Have you ever wondered what would happen if you actually followed the month of menus meal plan guide in Woman's Day magazine? I have and these are the results.

Friday, August 21, 2015

Tex-Mex Chicken Salad


This is my version.
tex mex chicken nacho salad
Jonny Valiant
Just reading this title makes me hungry. There's a picture so it's obviously a lettuce salad with a Tex-Mex feel, but it makes me hungry for a chicken salad sandwich. I'm imagining chicken mixed in with my homemade guacamole on a tortilla. Maybe a little Colby jack cheese mixed in. Lila and Andy both love tacos. Like, I will eat three tacos every day for the rest of my life and still want tacos love. I'm pretty sure this meal will be a hit for everyone.

Tex-Mex Chicken Salad

Active time: 15 minutes             Total time: 15 minutes            Level: Easy
Serves: 4          Cost per serving: $2.31
Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 c. shredded rotisserie chicken
  • 1 can pinto beans
  • 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
  • 1 c. fresh corn kernels
  • 1 c. fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • 1/2 red onion, chopped
  • 1/4 c. fresh lime juice
  • 2 Tbsp low-fat sour cream
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp honey
  • Kosher salt
  • pepper
  • tortilla chips

I don't know where the people writing these shop, but it's definitely not the Estherville, Iowa Hy-Vee. The chicken alone cost more than their estimate for the entire recipe ($8.99 for just the breasts). Add on 2 limes ($1.38), a can of pinto beans ($1.99) and chips ($4.29) and the cost has gone up significantly ($4.32/person). That isn't even counting all the stuff I already had at my house.

While I was doing my shopping, I bought the new Woman's Day magazine for my September month of menus--some of the recipes look amazing. I'm especially looking forward to the "fried" chicken on Friday the 4th! Andy is, of course, concerned about the meals that lack meat, but they even look good (more cheese and noodles, less nuts).

Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, gently toss together the chicken, beans, lettuce, corn, cilantro, avocado and onion.
  2. In a bowl, whisk together the lime juice, sour cream, oil, honey, and 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper.
  3. Drizzle dressing over salad and gently toss to combine. Serve with tortilla chips, if desired.


That's it. Simple. Fresh. Delicious. There are no tomatoes in this recipe, but I have a ton in my garden so I chopped up a couple and threw them in. There's no such thing as tacos without tomatoes. Andy of course complained about the cilantro, and Lila just complained, but overall the opinion was positive. Andy ate a big plate, decided he would wrap up the leftovers in a tortilla for work tomorrow night, and went to hold Maxen on the couch. Lila finally started eating after he left. She ate chips with sour cream, a mini pepper, a cherry tomato, and one bite of the salad. She did eat the chicken, after I picked it out for her. Then she had two bowls of strawberries with whipped cream. She was complaining she was hungry, but we stood our ground and said no snacks (the strawberries were planned), eat your supper. She went to bed a little cranky.

Tips: As per the magazine and Andy, wrap up leftovers in a tortilla. 

Verdict? Taste of Day Success

No comments:

Post a Comment