Have you ever wondered what would happen if you actually followed the month of menus meal plan guide in Woman's Day magazine? I have and these are the results.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Artichoke and Almond-Stuffed Chicken Breasts

We have a minor ingredient issue tonight, so I'm flip-flopping tonight and tomorrow night's recipes. I'm making chicken tonight because my chicken needs to be used and my tomatoes need another day or so to ripen. Also, since everyone has finally made time, we're doing my birthday supper tomorrow night (a week and a half after my actual birthday). Don't worry though, I will still be making the recipe for "cold soup and spreadable cheese sandwiches" on Thursday for lunch.
Ok, first impressions for today? I love spinach and artichoke dip, but I'm VERY anti-crunch meat. Nuts go on cereal, not on chicken. I don't even like them in cookies! Oh, except for macadamia nut cookies. MMM cookies.

Artichoke and Almond-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Woman's Day Magazine July/August 2015

Active time: 15 minutes                       Total time: 25 minutes              Level: Easy
Serves: 4
Ingredients:
  • 1 can artichoke hearts (drained)
  • 1/2 c. chopped baby spinach
  • 2 Tbsp chopped roasted almonds
  • 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan
  • 1 tsp grated orange zest
  • 3/4 tsp kosher salt and pepper
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil

I'm really not sure about this mix of flavors--about the only thing I like in my chicken are butter and herbs. Orange zest and almonds do not appeal to my taste buds, but neither did bacon jam and look how that turned out. And yes, I will compare everything to that first meal for at least a week.

Directions:
  1. In a small bowl, combine artichokes, spinach, almonds, Parmesan, orange zest and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper.
  2. Cut a 2-inch pocket in the thickest part of each chicken breast. Stuff a quarter of the artichoke mixture into each breast. Season with 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper. 
  3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken breasts until golden brown and cooked through, 5-7 minutes per side. 

This recipe is touted as a "low calorie chicken dinner" (with 2 Tbsp of olive oil that may be a stretch of the imagination), so I paired it with a mixed greens and baby spinach salad, orange slices (don't want to waste anything) and cottage cheese. On the plus side, I didn't screw anything up tonight! On the negative side, I didn't particularly enjoy the stuffing (too orange, too crunchy). Andy, on the other hand, loved it. He had two whole breasts (over 1 pound of chicken!). Lila would have been the tie breaker, but she's had a busy summer and went to bed at 4 in the afternoon and slept through supper.

Tips: I used my cast iron skillet and 2 Tbsp of oil was way too much. Also, cover the chicken while cooking because after 8 minutes per side, it was still a bit pink at the center of mine (Andy's was either fine or he ate it so fast he didn't notice).

Verdict? Taste of day pass.


No comments:

Post a Comment