Have you ever wondered what would happen if you actually followed the month of menus meal plan guide in Woman's Day magazine? I have and these are the results.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Gazpacho with Open-Faced Ricotta Sandwiches


So to me, this recipe could easily be called "cold soup and fancy cheese-wiz toast." Same basic idea, sounds way less palatable. I love tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches--definitely top five favorite meals. However, I'm on the fence about this. I know its a cold soup, which Julianne Hough (amazing!) loves for summer, and maybe it's the Scandinavian girl in me, but I don't understand it. Soup is not cold! Apparently it's "easy to throw together in a food processor." *sigh* That means climbing to my upper cabinets to retrieve said food processor and the inevitable hacking off of limbs when washing the blades. But it's light and refreshing and LOOKS really tasty!

Gazpacho with Open-Face Ricotta Sandwiches
Woman's Day Magazine, July/August 2015
Prep: 15 minutes     Total: 15 minutes            Level: Easy
Serves: 4                  Cost per serving: $1.80

Ingredients

  • 1 red pepper
  • 2 stalks celery
  • 2 kirby cucumbers
  • 1/4 sweet onion
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 2 lbs. tomatoes
  • 4 Tbsp. olive oil
  • Kosher salt and pepper
  • 1 c. part-skim ricotta
  • 1/2 baguette
  • 1/2 c. roughly chopped basil
  • Lemon wedges
This meal just keeps getting worse. Red pepper, celery, tomato, onion, garlic--sounds like a bloody Mary! Throw in some Tabasco and it's a party! But then add cucumber. And not just a little--two whole ones! If vegetables could be considered villains, cucumber would be my arch-nemesis! In fact, I hate cucumber
so much I don't even like homemade "refrigerator" pickles. When I'm pregnant, all pickles disgust me because they taste like cucumbers. At least I get to pulverize them before I eat them. Hopefully the 2 POUNDS of tomatoes, fresh from my garden, overpower the taste.

Directions

  1. In a food processor, pulse the red pepper, celery, cucumbers, onion and garlic until finely chopped. Add the tomatoes, 2 Tbsp oil, and 3/4 tsp each salt and pepper; puree until smooth.
  2. Dividing evenly, spread the ricotta on the baguette. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper, drizzle with 1 Tbsp oil, and top with 1/2 the basil.
  3. Transfer the Gazpacho to bowls, drizzle with remaining 1 Tbsp oil and top with remaining basil. Serve with ricotta sandwiches.
That was super easy, and I didn't even lose a finger! Hy-Vee did not have any Kirby cucumbers, so I used about 2/3 of a regular cucumber. I also used some delicious-looking, bright red, garden fresh Bushel Boy tomatoes. What a waste. I'm pretty sure this is the worst-tasting meal I have had in my entire life. I wish I had pictures of our first bites (especially now that I can actually show them to you!). Andy didn't realize it was a cold soup and almost spit it out. I took a very brave, very large bite and almost threw up while attempting to swallow. Our niece, Taylor (who is 15), mostly pushed the soup around the bowl. Next. it was time for the sandwich--Taylor liked the bread; Andy thought it was worse than the soup and removed the topping. And what did I think? I think ricotta should be saved for lasagna, and even then moderation is key.

Tips: Avoid altogether. Unless you have chickens and feel like making them a gourmet meal. They ate it without complaining!

Verdict? Taste of Day FAIL

No comments:

Post a Comment