Have you ever wondered what would happen if you actually followed the month of menus meal plan guide in Woman's Day magazine? I have and these are the results.

Thursday, August 6, 2015

Grilled Skirt Steak with Charred Corn Salad


grilled skirt steak with charred corn salad

Grilled sweet corn and steak is hard to screw up--this time I have both Andy and propane,m so it should go better than Monday's sausage and veggie fiasco. Plus, after the lunch I fed to the chickens today I'm starving and ready for real food. I have a freezer full of meat, but sine I need to go to the store anyways, I'll pick up actual skirt steak instead of substituting what I have (lots of sirloin and ribeye). I also have a bag of sweet corn fresh from the field prepped and ready to go in the fridge thanks to my Grandma.

Grilled Skirt Steak with Charred Corn Salad

Prep: 25 minutes       Total Time: 25 minutes             Level:Easy
Serves: 4                    Cost per serving: $3.65

Ingredients:
  • 1 Skirt Steak (1 1/2 pounds)
  • Kosher salt
  • Pepper
  • 2 ears corn
  • 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 small red onion
  • 2 small avocados
  • 1 c. fresh cilantro leaves
  • 8 small flour tortillas

Of course we have a problem. Can a single meal pass without at least one issue? First, you cannot get skirt steak in Fairmont, Minnesota (at least not at HyVee, and I wasn't dragging the baby to three different stores). Instead, I got 3/4 pound of Flat Iron steak (it was on sale for $4.99/lb, I got the last package) and 3/4 pound ribeye. Then, grandma informs me the corn is "only good for chicken feed." OK, I think, it's a good thing Andy has to go back to town this afternoon. He can pick up a few ears. When he gets home, I find out he forgot to buy corn! I guess we're eating the chicken scraps. Hopefully my grandma was exaggerating how inedible this corn is. Also, I really hope this cilantro didn't come from Mexico, but there's no label and the produce guy wasn't sure where it came from. But, hey, at least we have propane!

Directions:
  1. Heat grill to medium-high.Season the steak with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper and grill to desired doneness, 3-5 minutes per side for medium rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
  2. Place the corn on the grill along with the steak and grill, turning occasionally, until charred, about 3 minutes. Transfer the corn to a cutting board and remove the kernels from the cobs.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together the lime juice, oil, and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Add the corn and onions, toss to combine. Fold in the avocado and cilantro.
  4. Warm the tortillas on the grill. Serve with the steak, corn salad, and lime wedges, if desired. 




I feel like if I keep this up I'll eventually get really good at testing recipes and I will run out of mistakes. This is like an episode of "Love it or List It," halfway through something always comes up that throws a wrench in the plans. Speaking of, you would think they would budget for stuff like that. Anyway, tonight Andy did the grilling (which, as every man knows, always involves beer). My steaks were thicker than the recipe called for, which meant an increase in cooking time. Instead of letting Andy grill the way he was taught, I decided to micromanage and ended up with bloody steaks, which I personally love, but they could have used a few more minutes of grill time. The corn salad (it was like mild guacamole with corn) was delicious. You could easily replace the steak with a can of seasoned black beans and have a delicious vegetarian/meatless Monday meal. That sounds really good--I'm hungry again! Andy and Lila both love steak though so I don't see that happening any time soon. Lila wouldn't even touch the corn, but as picky as she's been lately, I'll consider her liking the steak and tortilla a win. Oh, and the corn was just fine.

Tips: Medium-rare was a little chewy, I would recommend medium to medium well with these particular cuts. Andy hates cilantro, so I cut the amount in half and it was plenty. If you don't have corn on the cob holders (I don't), you can use a chip-clip to hold the corn for removing kernels (or just let it cool).

Verdict? Taste of Day Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment